Monday, August 13, 2012

Dear Mama

Break the eggs swiftly,
Whisk the cream gently,
Bask in the warmth of flame,
Vianna desu.

Well. The thing about Rose's father really consumed my attention that I forgot about this event. A particularly happy event. It happened a day before Rose's father's death. Ironic, I know.

So, 9th of August is my Mother's birthday. I've always wanted to give her something--and I decided I'd make a cake. Googling for some recipes, took one, studied it, and well--I said to myself, "This is it! Gonna make this."

The name's "Browned-Butter Cupcakes".



After making sure that I had all the ingredients I needed, I told my sista to collab on this one. Oh-ho, somehow, both of us like to make cakes/cookies. Somewhat genetics from Mother and Grandma, maybe. So in short, we agreed to start making it in the afternoon, a day before H-day. (This fasting month made it harder to celebrate birthdays, 'cause of course we can't shove our cake right in the morning, that would be... rude. So calculating that we're gonna do the surprise during 'sahur' but making cakes in the middle of night would be impossible, I decided to do it in the evening before.)

Well, at first it didn't go really well. My sista suddenly had to go out so I needed to do it alone. Mom kinda helped me preparing the ingredients. Making the so-called 'browned butter' took sooooo damn long time that I was starting to freak out. Yeah. Unpredicted things like that.

But, well, fortunately I actually did it okay. Just when I needed to mix the eggs and sugar--which required a lot of patience and resilience, and mine just happened to be already so thin--my sista came home. So she took care of it, while I prepared the cups. Mom also left everything to us. Even ma brotha was helping (butting in). Eveything went well.


We poured the mixture into the cups, then put it into the oven, and waited~ Hmm. Seeing the mixture getting bouncy and bigger, really made me go 'fuwaaaa'. Lol.


At first I wanted to make the topping just like mentioned in the recipe, but because it'd take too much time and way moooore ingredients, sist and brotha told me not to. We used melted chocolate instead, and dipped the cupcakes in it.


Mmm. Yummy.

The funny thing is, Mom kept queried me about why I insisted making the cupcakes that day. Hey, no way I was to spoil the surprise, so I kept saying that it's just a whim. Seems like Mom didn't really believe me and already suspected something. Lol.

Even more so, I prohibited everyone from eating them that night. Cue mooore suspicions directed. And I must admit, those cupcakes are so tempting. Slurrp.


Nonetheless, me and sist managed to 'save' those cupcakes until sahur time. We got up really early to prepare.

But. Prepare what?? I really had no idea what to do with those cupcakes! Beep-beep. Emergency alarm went off in my head. Daaaamn. So in a whim, I put some cupcakes on a plate and arranged them into number '51'--which symbolized Mom's age.


Uhh. Didn't really work. It went kinda unnoticed. So we decided to just say it out loud-- we hugged Mom from behind and told her "Happy birthday". Then sist said, "Ann was getting so worked out--with all those cupcakes."

Only then Mom realized, those cupcakes were meant for her. She smiled and said, "My girls are all grown-ups now."

 Hmm. Guess it's not really a fail attempt, after all.

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Mama,
Happy birthday to you.
-09082012-

No comments:

Post a Comment