Monday, February 17, 2014

ADHD, or Not?

So if you happen to have me in your friend list on Facebook, you may have read my rambling just a while ago (it's in Indonesian though). It's something about getting shocked after re-reading an old piece of fanfiction. I found it quite decently written, with decent flow of words--which is complete opposite compated to my latest pieces that tend to get rushed. I reasoned that I usually get restless after spending some time writing/typing stories (or articles, or anything in that case, even this post) and always wants to finish as soon as possible.

I have always known I have attention problems. I can't write anything without minimizing it for a quick twitter check, or maybe a round or two of games. I can't sit and study for hours without getting up and walking around the house (or talking to my friends, if the study is during class). But only now I consider the possibility of having ADHD, as minor as it may be.

I found this on internet:


Symptoms of ADHD fall into three groups:
  • Not being able to focus (inattentiveness)
  • Being extremely active (hyperactivity)
  • Not being able to control behavior (impulsivity)
Some people with ADHD have mainly inattentive symptoms. Some have mainly hyperactive and impulsive symptoms. Others have a combination of different symptom types. Those with mostly inattentive symptoms are sometimes said to have attention deficit disorder (ADD). They tend to be less disruptive and are more likely not to be diagnosed with ADHD.
Inattentive Symptoms
  • Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork
  • Has difficulty keeping attention during tasks or play
  • Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
  • Does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork or chores and tasks
  • Has problems organizing tasks and activities
  • Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork)
  • Often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools needed for tasks or activities
  • Is easily distracted
  • Is often forgetful in daily activities
Hyperactivity Symptoms
  • Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
  • Leaves seat when remaining seated is expected
  • Runs about or climbs in inappropriate situations
  • Has problems playing or working quietly
  • Is often "on the go," acts as if "driven by a motor"
  • Talks excessively
Impulsivity Symptoms
  • Blurts out answers before questions have been completed
  • Has difficulty awaiting turn
  • Interrupts or intrudes on others (butts into conversations or games)
 Well. It scares me a little, you know. I have some of the symptoms.

I never get 100 in my quiz, simply because I miss little tidbits of things, almost like I do it messily. I'm not the type who can re-read my answers after a while and find the mistake--I answer the problems once and for all (which is probably the reason why I always have too much free time during test, lol).

Next, I have difficulty in listening, especially to monotonous speech or instructions. I just... lose my focus after a while, much like dozing off. This is why I prefer reading to listening--I don't lose focus when reading.

Next. Often loses hings I need. Weeeell, it used to be much worse but now I can keep track of mostly everything. But I think losing things is just the result of being untidy, that's all.

Is easily distracted, and is often forgetful. Sooo me. Enough said.

And then, about fidgeting around. YES I DO. My nails are always so short because I keep chewing on them. I always tap my feet in quick rhytm (heck, how do you spell it?) everytime I sit down. I can't keep my body still even for a full minute. Sometimes (or maybe often) I pace around just because I can't stop moving. When I talk with people sitting, sometimes I just stand with the excuse "have been sitting too long my butt aches." And when I stand, I can make all exaggerated moves as I speak. Trust me.

Hmm I guess that's all the obvious ones. I'm basically a silent and reserved person I don't do things like talking excessively or interrupting people's speech or breaking queue. Self-restraint is in full effect.

So.

ADHD, or not?

(Looking at those symptoms just makes me realize all over again that I'm a very contradictive person. Two polar characteristics in one person. Not bipolar, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment