Saturday, June 27, 2015

[Fanfic] To Learn Something New (ch 5)

Title: To Learn Something New
Author: Vianna Orchidia / Annasthacy Chashyme
Fandom: Final Fantasy XIII Series
Character: Lightning Farron, Hope Estheim
Rating: K
Genre: General
Disclaimer: I do not own the series and the characters, and I do not gain any profit from this fanfiction
Warning: AU

teen /teen/ n a teenage person

Lightning first noticed the teen one evening, just before the end of her shift, and she saw him walking sluggishly with a noticeable bruise over his face. He almost tripped over nothing and stumbled in front of her, so she shot her hand out out of reflex to prevent the fall.

The boy thanked her afterwards with eyes that couldn't really meet hers. It irritated her.

"Did you get bullied?" she asked in a clipped tone and a hard gaze. She saw the boy almost shook at her blatant question, and he looked hesitant to provide an answer.

"I... fell."

"Don't give me that crap," Lightning quickly dismissed his excuse; a part of her berated herself for using vulgar language, but he should be at least fourteen and that's old enough to use the word 'crap'. "Anyone can tell those bruises aren't from a fall."

The boy thinned his lips and ran a hand on his silver tresses. "They gave me a beating because I got a perfect score while they didn't," he finally confessed. "Though I am not surprised; they are obviously not smart enough if they think punching me will lower my grades. I think using my brain, not my brawns, so unless they harm my brain they can't do a thing about it."

Well that was unexpected. Lightning had thought this boy would look defeated—teary eyes for a hurt ego or something. But here he was, getting all sassy about his bullies with an almost exasperated face.

"So you let them punch you?" she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Oh no, ma'am. Each of them have at least a broken nose. I have my trustworthy partner, after all," he grinned as he pulled out a boomerang from his bag. Eyeing the policewoman carefully, he added, "they allow me to bring this because it's a toy... well, until I threw it to the bullies."

By now Lightning was beyond amused. The way this teen talk was really different than any of his peers, and his eyes shone with intelligence and undivided determination; he was beautiful.

"All right, so you handled your bullies well. Now you just need to explain your bruises to your parents—and I'm sure your mom won't like the boomerang part, so good luck." Lightning smirked as the teen obviously panicked at the prospect of his angry mother.

"By the way, kid, what's your name?"

"I'm not a kid!" he instantly protested, but shut his mouth just as quickly because Lightning rolled her eyes exasperatedly, and answered, "Hope Estheim. I live two blocks from here, in Felix Height."

Lightning smiled. "All right Hope Estheim, you can call me Lightning. Now off you go."

No comments:

Post a Comment