Tuesday, July 7, 2015

[Fanfic] To Learn Something New (ch 11)

Title: To Learn Something New
Author: Vianna Orchidia / Annasthacy Chashyme
Fandom: Final Fantasy XIII Series
Character: Lightning Farron, Hope Estheim
Rating: K+
Genre: General
Disclaimer: I do not own the series and the characters, and I do not gain any profit from this fanfiction
Warning: AU

jam /jam/ v to fill (something, such as a door or a road) so that movement is slow or stopped; to press or push (an object) into a tight place

“Hmm, I think your engine is jammed somewhere. You need to take it to the garage.”

Lightning rubbed her temple and sighed deeply. She needed to get to Bodhum before it got dark, but with her vehicle malfunctioning like this, her plans were as good as busted. Not to mention the breakdown happened on a relatively deserted road where hardly any people passed by. She was lucky this silver-haired young man saw her unmoving vehicle from the diner about half a mile from there and decided to come and help.

“Do you know where the closest garage is?” she asked, trying to be polite despite the distressed voice she couldn't control.

“A little farther than the diner I work at, I'm afraid.” He looked genuinely sympathetic at her circumstances. “Look, I can help pushing your vehicle to the garage. With the two of us, maybe we can reach it before it's getting late.”

Lightning was surprised at the offer, not to mention the gentle and sincere way he said it. Such a kind person was rare nowadays. “No, no, I can't trouble you any more than this. I'm already indebted enough with you coming all the way here.”

“It's fine, really,” he brushed her off with a grin, and started pushing the vehicle. “Come on, after sundown this area gets really dark. We need to move.”

Realizing the young man wasn't going to back off at all, Lightning hurriedly joined him and began pushing as well. She felt really bad, letting this man doing so much for her even though she's just a stranger.

“I'm sorry,” she said quietly.

“Don't sweat it, miss. I need to get back to the diner too anyway, and it's the same direction, so this is killing two birds with one stone.”

His smile was dazzling, and Lightning felt strangely calmer after seeing it. It's a smile which told her that he's got everything under control, that the world could rely on him. It was intriguing, because he looked a little younger than her, yet he had this air of wisdom she didn't understand. Lightning took a deep breath. “Lightning.”

“...pardon?”

“My name. It's Lightning.” The woman shook her head at his bewildered face, and added, “I know it's a weird name, but it means a lot to me.”

He looked almost embarassed. “I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... Lightning. It's a beautiful name, I think.” He gave her another sheepish smile. “I'm Hope.”

“Hope, huh?” she raised an eyebrow. “That's not less weird than mine.”

Hope laughed. “I know, right?”

“Then, Hope...” Lightning smiled lightly at him, mildly amused at his awe-struck face and slightly gaping mouth. “Thanks for the help. I owe you one.”

A/N: Hope is hopeless when it comes to Lightning

No comments:

Post a Comment