Tuesday, July 14, 2015

[Fanfic] To Learn Something New (ch 17)

Title: To Learn Something New
Author: Vianna Orchidia / Annasthacy Chashyme
Fandom: Final Fantasy XIII Series
Character: Lightning Farron, Hope Estheim, Serah Farron
Rating: K+
Genre: General
Disclaimer: I do not own the series and the characters, and I do not gain any profit from this fanfiction
Warning: set before FFXIII-2. Genderswap (male!Lightning and fem!Hope)

collection /col·lec·tion/ n the act or process of getting things from different places and bringing them together

And this is taken during my high-school's entrance ceremony.”

Hope looked closely at the photograph Serah was pointing at. Young Serah was the same as always, all smiles and her trademark side ponytail was also there. Meanwhile, young Lightning looked... well, young. He wore a simple white shirt and brown pants, and his gesture was much more relaxed than the Lightning Hope knew.

He had just entered the Guardian Corps, so I guess the soldier figure has not attached itself to him yet,” the younger Farron explained further, chuckling at the end of her sentence. After that, she moved her fingers to flip another page of the photo album. However, the next few pages held significantly less photos which raised question to Hope, as perceptive that girl was.

There's so few after high-school,” the silverette commented quietly.

Serah hummed thoughtfully. “I rarely see him with all the trainings and missions he had to do. That's why I always forced him to take a day off for his or my birthday.”

Laughing lightly, Hope said, “Mom used to do it too; you know my dad was always busy with work. The success ratio was near zero though, he never made it to my birthday party. That's why I really hated him.”

It's a good thing you managed to fix things between you and your father, Hope.”

Yeah,” she nodded. The conversation died at that point, because Hope looked to be deep in thought and reminiscence as she traced the figure of Lightning in those photos while Serah decided to let her be. Discreetly the pinkette searched for something in the young girl's eyes, then smiled softly when she saw it.

Do you want to keep that photo album?” Serah suddenly asked.

Startled, Hope stammered for answer. She couldn't deny the happiness when Serah said it, but taking this precious family photo album would be too cruel. Hope was not the only one missing Lightning's presence. No, more than anyone, it was Serah, his only family. That's why she could not steal this treasure away from the younger Farron. “I... I can't. This belongs to you, Serah.”

Serah shook her head with a smile. “It's okay, Hope.”

No, Serah. I really appreciate it, but I can't.”

Serah knew nothing would budge the girl once she's said no, so instead she peeled a photo from the album and offered it to Hope. “Then at least take this. I know you miss him too. It's not much, but I hope this would help. One way or another.”

Hope was left speechless at that. She could not explain the gratitude she felt deep in her heart as she took the photograph from Serah's hand. It was a more recent photo of Lightning, presumably when he was just promoted to a sergeant because he was standing alone and proud in his uniform. He looked exactly the same as Hope remembered him. She could feel tears beginning to well in her eyes.

Thank you, Serah,” she mumbled, trying hard to stop the tears, pressing the photo to her chest. “I really, really mean it.”

A/N:
Serah definitely saw how much Lightning meant to Hope. I honestly think that fem!Hope would make very close friends with Serah after he disappeared. Which makes Hope's loss even greater after Serah left with Noel. Oh the feels.
On the side note, I feel like losing my edge in writing. I'm still trying hard to keep writing and keep the rust away.

No comments:

Post a Comment